Due to its close proximity to the White House, Saint John’s Church is known as the “Church of the Presidents”; accordingly, every President since James Madison has attended at least one service there. A prayer book in one of the pews contains the signatures of every president since Franklin Delano Roosevelt, but excluding Richard Nixon, commemorating the inauguration services they attended at Saint John’s.
Architect Benjamin Latrobe (1764-1820) designed Saint John’s Church, in addition to other noted buildings in the neighborhood. The church was completed in 1816 and serves as a notable example of late Federal architecture. Many additions and alterations have been made to the church over the last two centuries, but it remains in fine condition today. The church still serves as an active parish.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964 (Joint Committee on Landmarks)
National Register: October 15, 1966
National Historic Landmark: December 19, 1960