Tudor Place is among the foremost Federal-era mansions in the nation, designed by William Thornton, architect of the U.S. Capitol. The house's owner, Thomas Peter, and his wife, Martha Parke Custis Peter, had significant connections to the Washington, Custis, and Lee families. Thomas Peter served as the mayor of Georgetown from 1789 to 1798, and Martha Park Custis was the granddaughter of Martha Washington. Construction of the house began circa 1794, was completed circa 1815, and was financed by an inheritance from the President.
The house sits at the crest of a hill on a large estate with lawns and gardens. The house is exceptionally plain on the north elevation, but is in startling contrast the south elevation, overlooking Georgetown, which is a tour-de-force of Regency design. The main house has end pavilions connected by loggias, stuccoed brick facades with spare detail, and Tuscan columns. The building has an unusual floor plan but fine interior finishes.
Tudor Place has been virtually unaltered since its original construction and is open to visitors.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: October 15, 1966
National Historic Landmark: December 19, 1960