Originally, the building now known as the Warder-Totten House was commissioned by Benjamin Warder in 1885 and designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by the firm of Henry Hobson Richardson. It stood at 1509 K Street, NW until 1923, when it was razed. Afterward, the materials were bought by Major George Oakley Totten, Jr., a prominent DC architect who designed many notable mansions in the Sixteenth Street area, and in 1925, Totten reconstructed the Warder house at 2633 16th Street, NW. Of four Washington buildings designed by the firm of H.H. Richardson, the Warder-Totten house is the only structure that survives.
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
National Register: April 14, 1972