The Wardman Park Annex rises above Connecticut Avenue from its hilltop site at the intersection of Woodley Road, N.W. Its height--140 feet above street level--has made it a landmark along Connecticut Avenue since its erection and provides its residents with splendid views across Rock Creek Park and the City, The structure is composed of four eight-story wings radiating spoke-like from a central octagonal tower. The arrangement provides all rooms with exterior views and gives the building its distinctive cruciform shape.
The Annex was designed in 1928 by Mihran Mesrobian, an architect in the firm of builder Harry Wardman. Mesrobian was also the designer of the Sheraton Carl ton and the Hay Adams, two other luxury hotels located in downtown Washington. The architect used English Colonial Revival details in contrasting white wood and stone to ornament the eight nearly-identical facades of his red-brick building. The choice of style, colors, materials, and the radiating wing design were part of a conscious effort to blend the new building with the main red brick hotel building erected by Wardman in 1917-18 and located immediately to the west on the same property.
The Annex sits on a terrace twenty-four feet above street level and the roof line is an additional 90 feet above grade. The central octagonal core, which houses the building's service facilities, rises 25 feet above the roof and is topped by an open ironwork globe. The wings are divided horizontally by two stone belt courses and a stone water table. Vertical accents include projecting bays, tiers of balconies, and tall decorative chimneys. Corners of the wings and'bays are set off by brick quoining, and each wing is capped with a bracketed mansard roof.
Architect: Mihran Mesrobian
Developer: Harry Wardman
DC Inventory: January 5, 1979 National Register: January 31, 1984