This bronze equestrian statue of George Washington was commissioned by Congress from Clark Mills after his successful completion of the equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson located on Lafayette Square. It depicts Washington in the uniform of Commander in Chief of the Continental Army advancing in front of the American lines in a surprise attack on the British forces. The horse is shown rearing slightly, standing on three feet, while Washington calmly holds the reins in his right hand and his sword down at his left side, The face of Washington was taken from Houdon's famous bust. Great attention has been given to the veins of the horse and the pattern of its mane and tail. The base is marble, patched with cement where it is cracked. Acts of January 25, 1853 and February 24, 1860 appropriated $60,000 for the statue and pedestal, (10 Stat. 153 and 12 Stat. 114), It was dedicated in 1860. The statue is located in the center of Washington Circle in Northwest Washington at the intersections of Pennsylvania Avenue, K St., New Hampshire Ave,, and 23rd -St., N.W.
Clark Mills: sculptor
National Register: July 14, 1978