This memorial to Polish Brigadier General Kosciuszko was presented by the Polish Alliance and the Polish American people of the Unitied States. As a young Polish-Lithuanian military engineer, Kosciuszko offered his service to the American War for Independence in 1776.
The work of the Polish sculptor Antoni Popiel (1865-1910), this bronze pedestrian statue depicts Kosciuszko in the uniform of a general of the Continental Amry with a cocked hat, holding a map of his fortifications at Saratoga in his right hand. The sculpture rests atop a square tiered base adorned with bronze sculptures on all four sides.
On the north side, there is an eagle perched on top of a globe showing America with a flag, a sword, and a shield. On the south side, there is globe showing Poland with and eagle fighting a snake on top. On the east side, a figure group depicts Kosciuszko with a drum at his feet and a flag in his left hand. With his right hand, he unties a rope from around the waist of an American soldier, who symbolizes the American army. On the west side, another figure group depicts Kosciuszko, dressed in a Polish military uniform, lying on the ground and pointing into the distance with his right hand. Assisting him is a Polish soldier dressed in peasant military attire to symbolize the Polish Army.
The statue was dedicated on May 11, 1910 by President William Howard Taft, and is now owned by the National Park Service. It is located in Lafayette Park, the north east corner near the intersection of Madison Place and H St., N.W. A copy of the statue was erected in Warsaw, Poland in 2010.