The White-Meyer house is an important element along Washington's famous Sixteenth Street, and is significant for its association with its occupants and the excellent revivalist architecture of the noted American architect John Russell Pope.
It is a large-scaled forty room brick mansion that is surrounded by landscaped grounds. The building is three stories in height, seven bays wide and its third floor is recessed behind a brick and limestone parapet.
The White-Meyer House (so-named for original owner/builder Henry White and later owner Eugene Meyer), the first of the two houses constructed, was designed and built between 1910 and 1912 for diplomat Henry White and his wife, Margaret Rutherford White upon his retirement as Ambassador to France after a successful 30-year diplomatic career. The house is a large and stately, 40-room, red brick and limestone-detailed Georgian Revival-style mansion that sits on the rise of Meridian Hill, west of 16th Street.
National Register Listing: January 20, 1988
DC Inventory: November 8, 1964
Located within the Meridian Hill Historic District