The Old Swedish Ambassador’s Residence, completed in 1924, was the home of 12 Swedish ambassadors between 1950 and 2019. The mansion was originally constructed for David Lawrence, owner and founder of U.S. News and World Report, and recipient of the…

Constructed in approximately 1810, the John Davidson House was built by a partner of early Washington’s commercial mogul Francis Dodge. Davidson would also own the Dodge Warehouse, as written in a fire insurance policy from 1837. The Davidson House…

The Henry Foxall House, built in 1820, is a long-standing example of the Federal homes found in Georgetown. Owned as an investment by Henry Foxall, a foundry owner and mayor of Georgetown (when it was an independent city), 2908 N Street NW is a…

Home to one of the earliest judges of the DC Circuit Court, the Morsell House (John S. Williams House; Decatur-Gunther House) was built in 1813, and has been home to many of DC’s affluent and influential figures. James Sewall Morsell lived in the…

The remnants of this row of Federal style buildings date back to the 1790s. The Seven Buildings, which sit just northwest of the White House along Pennsylvania Avenue, figure extensively into the early history of, not only Washington, DC, but also…

The Six Buildings, located from 1205 to 2117 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, were an image of the early days of the Republic. Failed to be completed by James Greenleaf, the Six Buildings would be passed into the hands of Mr. Isaac Polock, who completed them…

This Federal style brick house was built for Col. Charles Beatty. Beatty owned the ferry between Georgetown and Virginia, a crucial link between the two points prior to the construction of a bridge. It was also the residence of Thomas Hyde, and his…

Built by Thomas Beall in 1784, this was the home of his son in law Col. George Corbin Washington, who was also the great nephew of George Washington. The mansion was also the home of Eliah Riggs, and in the 20th century, Katharine Graham, who was…

Built in 1865 to 1875, the cornerstone of Saint Dominic's Church was placed on November 19, 1865, just months after the conclusion of the Civil War. There had been previous iterations of the church, which included St. Mary’s “Barry Chapel,” that was…

The Northeast Savings Bank (NESB) building, located at 800 H Street NE, is indicative of both its financial use and banking history, but also retains architectural significance. It is a leading example of the Beaux-Arts style, as well as a…