Named for Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806), the Black surveyor who worked with Andrew Ellicott (1754-1820) in surveying DC, the Banneker Recreation Center was the premier Black recreation center in a period when DC municipal facilities were segregated.…

Built in 1928, Trinity Towers is a significant example of noted DC architect Harvey Warwick’s (1893-1972) Gothic Moderne-styled apartment building. Planned as a large, urban apartment building on the Fourteenth Street streetcar line, Trinity Towers…

Completed in 1924, the Tivoli Theatre is the only theater still standing in DC by Thomas White Lamb (1871-1942), the leading theater architect of the Golden Age of motion picture palaces. The theater reflects Italian Renaissance revival and…

Erected in 1922, this block-long, temple-inspired structure was designed as one of the first branches of the Riggs National Bank, which foreshadowed the nationwide expansion of the banking industry following deregulatory measures passed in 1927. The…

The Inter-American Defense Board headquarters, located at 2600 Sixteenth Street NW, is a monumental Venetian late Gothic Revival residence constructed in 1905 as part of socialite and developer Mary Foote Henderson’s (1841-1931) plan to create a…

Park Tower illustrates the significant effort expended at the beginning of the twentieth century to develop Sixteenth Street as a prestigious avenue; this was a fashionable address for congressmen, professionals, and other notables during the…

Built in 1898, The Olympia is the only remaining apartment house from the first wave of construction along upper Fourteenth Street in Columbia Heights, spurred by the opening of the electric streetcar line in 1892. As is typical of most…

This former embassy is among the finest of nearly a dozen Meridian Hill mansions built by Mary Foote Henderson (1841-1931), in collaboration with her favorite architect, George Oakley Totten Jr. (1866-1939). Built in 1907, the project was her first…

This apartment building was one of a number of collaborations between architect Harvey Warwick (1893-1972) and developer Morris Cafritz (1888-1964). Originally named Hilltop Manor at the time of its opening in 1927, the apartments were renamed…