In 1902, the Qing Legation purchased a purpose-built mansion designed by Waddy Butler Wood. It is the oldest standing building commissioned and formerly occupied by a foreign government in DC, as well as the last of 5 buildings that housed the Chinese Legation. It was the home of Wu Ting-Fang, envoy extraordinary and minister plenipotentiary from the Qing dynasty.
This site is a part of the Finding Asian American History in Washington DC digital tour.
|Chinese diplomats in Stewart's Castle, the second location of the legation.||tif / 1.79 MB||Download|