American Peace Society
(Charles C. Glover House)

No. 734 Jackson Place, the home of the American Peace Society for 37 years, from 1911 until 1948, is a large Victorian town house dating from the 1860s.

An attractive brick structure with incised sandstone trim, it is three stories with an English basement and a two-and-one half-story hexagonal bay. The brown brick is laid in American bond, and the window sashes, double doors, and rather elaborately carved cornice have been painted dark brown.

Inside, the staircases run along the right-hand wall, and there are two rooms on each floor. Many of the original interior details remain: banisters, doors, and the fireplaces with their carved mantels. Since the Peace Society moved out, however, the house has undergone several changes. Doors have been cut through the adjoining house in order to provide enlarged office space for the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission (the current occupant), and the back of the building has been truncated to allow for a plaza behind the large new office building which stands to the rear. But the Victorian flavor of the facade is well-preserved as a part of the Lafayette Square Historic District; indeed, this house is one of the few original structures that remain in a row where reconstructions predominate.

DC listing: March 3, 1979
NR listing: September 13, 1974
NHL designation: May 30, 1974
within Lafayette Square HD

Images

Map

734 Jackson Place, NW