The Wire Building, constructed in 1949, is a twelve-story, Modern office building distinguished both for its smooth limestone walls that turn the corner in a sweeping curve and its early use of continuous bands of windows. Built by real estate developer Preston Wire, whose business offices occupied the building’s second floor, it was one of the major works of the architecture firm of Aubinoe and Edwards. Erected following a two-decade-long slowdown in commercial development, the Wire Building was strikingly modern in appearance, setting a precedent for the next downtown construction boom.
National Register: January 23, 2013
DC Inventory: November 1, 2012.